The Hops Advantage
Let’s start with why beer ? It’s not new to put beneficial ingredients in a natural soap – milk, coffee, honey, etc, beer soap is not new. In cosmetic terms, beer has hair and skin conditioning functions.
Hops as an exfoliant agent
Hops is certainly part of a beer. Ground hops (dried cones) are added to one of our soaps to add an effective exfoliant function to the soap. They are less harsh than coffee grounds, but more tangible than oats, and contribute a medicinal fragrance to the soaps.
Hops cones, picked from the hops plant (Humulus Lupulus), are used in brewing to make the beer bitter.
But In cosmetics assessment (see above in the CPSR Cosmetics Products Safety Report) of the Essentials E | Houblon Exfoliating soap, hop extracts bear lots of advantages to skin and hair:
Other properties of hops (when not used for beer brewing)
- Antimicrobial : Helps slow the growth of micro-organisms on the skin and counteracts the development of microbes
- Astringent : Helps tighten the pores of the skin
- Emollient : Softens and softens the skin
- Skin conditioning : Keeps the skin in good condition
- Soothing : Helps lighten the discomfort of the skin or scalp
- Tonic : Produces a feeling of well-being on skin and hair
- Perfuming : Used for perfume and aromatic raw materials
Soap is basically a cleaning product. It is not our intention to declare soaps containing hops/beer will cure your specific skin problems, but for sure if you have troubled skin, natural soaps enriched with hop extracts and superfat shall be a skin-friendly and soothing cleaning product.
Reference K. Suzuki, in Brewing Microbiology, 2015, ISBN1782423494.